Thursday, August 11, 2011

Painting Demonstration

I spent yesterday down at The Gallery, Williams Yard in Melbourne doing a painting demonstration in the gallery. The main aim of this was to be available to people thinking of enrolling in the painting course I'm teaching there in October.
I always find it interesting painting with an audience - perhaps it brings out the show-off in me. People said nice things and were surprisingly interested in the spectacle of rapidly drying acrylic paint! I went with one blank canvas and a second painting, of Mount Kenya, that was well underway. In the morning I worked on the Mount Kenya painting which was inspired by visiting and climbing the mountain in 2001. I'd taken many photographs on that trip and subsequently made a number of drawings and paintings. This, the latest in the series was a morning view of the upper part of the mountain from Shipton's Camp from where we started our climb up the North Face Standard Route. It's still in progress but nearly finished.
I also began a painting of Froggatt Pinnacle a rock feature on the Eastern Edges of the peak District, well known to climbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment